Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Long day, good times

We had a great last day in Monteverde. Maia and I went ziplining and Dean and Morgan went on an ATV tour. The ziplines were awesome. I wish we would have had a helmet cam. We went with
Adventure tours and I couldn't count the total number of lines they had but two of them were so long and high up that Maia and I had to ride as a double because she was too light and would have gotten stuck part way through. At the very end she chose to do the tarzan swing which is a 30 meter drop and then swing, a fancy name for what turns out to be bungee jumping. It was quite the adrenal rush for her. Here's the video of her jump. I couldn't get many pictures on the zip line but I bought them at the end so I can add them once I get to a computer where they can be uploaded.

Dean and Morgan enjoyed their tour as well. Morgan rode behind the guide much of the time as the terrain was uneven enough that it was safer with him than with Dean. Towards the end she got to drive in an open field which I think was her favorite part.

After returning to the hotel we headed in to town to grab some lunch at the treehouse restaurant.

Later that afternoon we began our long ride to the beach where we are spending our last couple of days. There were some animals such as monkeys, toucans, other birds and a variety of interesting sittings along our way. 

About an hour after our arrival in Sámara we were picked up to head to Ostional Wildlife Refuge. It's a reserve where they protect turtle nesting. It was about 9 pm when we headed out to the beach to see literally hundreds of large lora turtles. The process takes about an hour as they come to shore, find a spot they like, dig a hole, lay their eggs, cover the hole, compact the sand down so you would never know they had been there, and then turn around to return to the ocean. They lay between 80-120 eggs each the size of a golf ball. It was really cool to watch despite how tired we were. Unfortunately in the dark with only the red flashlight of the guide we couldn't take any pictures so you'll just have to trust me on the cool factor.

We returned to the hotel about 11pm, exhausted, a bit hungry, but happy nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment